Tobacco use is the single largest preventable cause of disease and death. One in every seven Lucas County adults are smokers. The Tobacco Program at the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department includes the work of two different Ohio Department of Health funded grants, the Tobacco Prevention Grant and the Community Cessation Initiative, dedicated to reducing the prevalence of tobacco use in Lucas County and the associated health effects.
Community Cessation Initiative
The Community Cessation Initiative (CCI) of Lucas County is aimed to help individuals quit tobacco use. The CCI program offers access to free tobacco cessation services to help residents in Lucas County and the surrounding area quit using tobacco products. By partnering with non-profits, organizations and hospitals in Lucas County, CCI has created a network of providers dedicated to offering high quality tobacco cessation services.
How the Program Works
Health Educators with CCI help determine what type of cessation services best fit the individual’s needs. Cessation partners may provide individual, group, and telephonic counseling at a large variety of locations across the county. Health Educators will also guide the journey to quit tobacco use and provide relapse management at no cost. Both Spanish and Arabic translators are available for assistance, if necessary. All individual, group, or telephone counseling services are free of charge, regardless of insurance coverage.
If you or someone you know would like to quit using tobacco products, contact CCI today by calling 419-213-4558 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join CCI as a Partner
The Community Cessation Initiative is interested in adding both providers and referral partners, including medical professionals, community health workers, faith based organizations, social services, or any agencies providing to Lucas County residents.
If you would like to learn more about becoming a referral partner or provider with CCI, click here.
Community Cessation Initiative Coordinator
Community Cessation Initiative Health Educators
Mahjida Steffin, CTTS (Provisional)
Silvia Fofrich, CTTS (Provisional)
Tobacco Prevention Program
The Tobacco Prevention Program sustains community interventions, counter marketing programs, policy, systems and environmental change tactics and surveillance and evaluation operations to coordinate or maintain the following initiatives:
- Promote model smoke-free leases/policies for multi-unit housing
- Promote model tobacco-free policies for schools, public places and worksites
- Continuous monitoring of tobacco prevalence among Ohioans. Annual adult tobacco prevalence rates are assessed through the Adult Tobacco Survey and Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System while youth tobacco prevalence rates are monitored biannually by way of the Ohio Youth Tobacco Survey
- Provide assistance with quitting tobacco use through the Community Cessation Initiative or by calling the Ohio Tobacco Quit Line at 1-800-Quit-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
- The Community Cessation Initiative works side by side with the Tobacco Prevention department, connecting individuals to free cessation counseling services
- The Ohio Tobacco Quit Line provides free counseling to Lucas County residents and nicotine replacement therapy, regardless of insurance coverage
Tobacco Prevention Coordinator
Safa Ibrahim, MPH, CTTS